What is the difference between Commonwealth Home Support Programme and Home Care Packages?
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) supports older people who are still managing well, but want some extra assistance, at home. Home Care Packages (HCP) provide more care and support services on an ongoing basis, for people whose needs are more intensive or complex. Both programs give you support to stay at home, but there are some differences:
- choose from a set menu of services – there isn’t much flexibility
- only pay for the services you use
- dip in and out of the program as you need things
- have your eligibility assessed by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS).
- a Home Care Coordinator helps you understand the system and work out a care plan that suits your individual needs and preferences
- you get your own funds to use and can decide how to spend it, rather than choosing from a menu
- once you have a package, it stays in place for the long term
- your eligibility is assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).
Return to News